Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Taking Pictures


Sunday I spent adding inventory items to the Time Travelers store. I kind of have a system set up where I like to have the photos taken already; then I do the research on the items and write the copy, and then add the item to the store. Does me no good to add an item to the store if I don't have a photo of it to show what it is! The big obstacle in the process thus far has been the Taking of The Photo - I am NOT a photographer; I take poor photos, I get frustrated taking photos. Bob and I went through all sorts of trials of different lamps, different backgrounds, taking the pictures outside (a good option when you live in The Sunshine State!) - but the fact of the matter is that sometimes, Bob won't be available to take the pictures when they need to be taken.

I decided to bite the bullet and actually learn how to do it. I had seen one of those portable photographic studios advertised in the Sky Mall magazine and decided that being able to take the photos indoors under controlled conditions was the best solution. I found a kit that included two adjustable lamps, a tripod, and a light box. It's the Digital Concepts Portable Light Studio PS-101, from Hammacher Schlemmer. Very quickly the tripod was tossed aside in favor of holding the camera in our hands. Directing the lights was also a challenge. Having the light box made a big difference to how the light is diffused, and creates a consistent background for the photos, which we think is an important element for the online store.

And that brings me to Today's Picture - my first attempt. This picture is taken with two light sources, with our digital camera, a Canon Power Shot ELPH, taken on the "macro" setting, for close-ups, with no flash.

It's of a covered sugar bowl from Wedgwood of Barlaston, of the Penshurst pattern. This was only produced between the years of 1962 and 1968 and so it's not a very commonly found pattern. I really like the robin-egg blue color against the cream background, and the foliage and floral all-over design on the piece. I also like the flare of the mouth of the bowl - it gives it a very '60's feel. The piece does have a chip taken out of one side of it, and I took a close-up picture of it for the inventory for the store - disclosure is everything! Also the price of piece is about half of what it would have been if perfect. I still think it's a lovely piece.

2 comments:

Bob T said...

Looks Good! Did I take this?

Time Travelers said...

No, buddy boy - I DID! Or I wouldn't have posted it! You just took the gazillion OTHER photos on the site....