Monday, March 21, 2011

Tell me how you REALLY feel

I've been dancing around the subject of the outcome of my attempted fundraiser for the Red Cross to support the victims of the disasters in Japan. Elsewhere, I have coached my words in civility, in serenity, and in benign acceptance of the dismal response.

The bald truth: on the day, including the $20 that my mother in Canada will be sending me, we raised a total of $59. One was a purchase from an item on the table, and two were donations by customers of the change from their transactions in buying other items we had for sale.

I was really at peace with how it had turned out. I couldn't have predicted how it had turned out; but in fact, I had hopes that almost every single person coming through the booth would read and be moved into action by our well-placed and carefully worded signs about the donation; I had hoped that the table would be picked clean by noon.

It was not to be. Indifference, vague smiles coupled with glazed-over avoidant side glances, and the sideways-crab-like shuffle away from the table that confronted people with the challenge to make a donation, however slight, to benefit the Japanese people in their time of challenge and need.

I was alright about it until about an hour ago. I was running some errands, and got to one business where I had to go through returning an item (a process which I dislike having to do, but it was unavoidable). The customer service rep is one who has worked with me in the past and who has this broad, unmistakable streak of compassion that runs through her like a swift running river. A large soul, if you will. For some reason, I found myself telling her of what had happened. And the tears started to flow.

The truth is that my heart feels broken. I had hoped to have the love and compassion that we and our fellow dealers who'd donated items to the table returned in kind by generous and enthusiastic purchases and further cash donations. It's hard for me not to feel discouraged. At the same time, I commend the dealers who helped to make the lovely table display possible, and their spirit of giving.

I think I'd like to go hide under my rock, thank you very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your motivation was certainly laudable, but I think you cannot judge people's motivations just because they didn't respond to your "ask", no matter how well composed or designed it was. I probably wouldn't have either. That does not mean that I am without compassion, but it is a sign of the times in which we live. My charitable contributions are given to organizations and drives where I have certainty that they will go for the purpose I intend. I doubt that you could have convinced me of your sincerity sufficiently to allay my concern. This makes neither of us less concerned about the people of Japan. If I encounter a "drive" at a point-of-purchase location, I am likely to only give small change.
That's how I REALLY feel. :o)