Tuesday, October 27, 2009

'Tiquing and Bargain Hunting In Pittsburgh, PA

Last week we visited family outside of Pittsburgh (in Ambridge, PA) and got to see riotous fall colors, experience chilly weather and then Florida-like temperatures. In addition to seeing the city itself, we saw Falling Water (and drooled at the genius of Frank Lloyd Wright), ate some strange salads and sandwichs, and SHOPPED.

We decided to concentrate primarily at the bottom of the food chain, and aimed for thrift stores. This would seem to be a booming retail sector throughout the nation as people look for the best ways to stretch their dollars, promote recycling, and in many cases make charitable donations to worthy causes. There were stores we stopped at where we struggled to find a parking spot, so successful this retail model has become.

I had sworn to myself that this was not going to be a hunting and shopping trip. We have so many treasures already! I even packed a relatively small bag so I wouldn't be tempted to tuck those very items in amongst my belongings. Well, that plan went out the window within 24 hours of our arrival in the area. Bob started out with an internet search of the area for thrift stores - rated by consumers, no less - plugged the addresses into the GPS dohickey, and we were off. Sigh. Irrepressible is the word. Who am I but to go with the flow (or stay at home and watch the well fed squirrels rushing like mad with their nuts in the backyard)? So I flowed. It was easy.

So we found bits and pieces - jewelry, Wedgwood, a teacup, some kitsch (our favorite). It did require the borrowing of a duffel bag in order to get everything back home. And I should know better than to think that a trip to a new place won't include a hunt for us. And yes, I enjoyed it as much as Bob did; well, I think my fun center gets filled quicker than his. I do get burned out, and I'm the one to ask for the hunt to end. I didn't meet any resistance, though.

A Transition

I'm writing this post on our new laptop. Now begins the joyful process of transferring our files, photos, music (it feels like our entire life, sometimes) from our eMac, way past its "best by" date, to this machine of the Evil Empire. Thank you, HP. So far, so good. I hope that I'm back to adding some of the treasures into the eCrater store soon; especially as there are not as many shows for us to participate in so far this season.

No comments: