Monday, May 5, 2008

West Palm Beach and also TIAS

It's too darn hot! I really think that it's too late in the year to be doing outdoor shows in Florida - especially for this northern native. This second-to-last show of the season at West Palm Beach, held at the Southern Fairgrounds, was packed with indoor vendors, but the outdoor vendors were sparse and the atmosphere was more like a flea market than an antique fair. Many of the shoppers inside the building were unaware that there were vendors set up outside, as I discovered when I briefly sat inside (to cool off), and overheard someone say just that. I interjected myself into their conversation to steer them to the offerings outside, but at the same time I was cringing that people had that impression in the first place. It wasn't well signed, and there weren't any show promoters greeting the arriving shoppers to tell them of the vendors outside - kind of pitiful.

It was an average show, and a lot of work for three days. I think that since we had just done another three-day show, I was particularly weary and not really enthusiastic about being out in the elements so soon. Maybe I wouldn't feel so grumpy if there had been a bit of a break between the shows!

And then there's TIAS.

At the Gainesville show we put up our sign announcing that we were accepting credit cards - and then after the show I discovered that I wasn't able to put the transaction through the TIAS website. Compounding the problem is that TIAS doesn't even allow their stores to talk to anybody on the phone - you have to put through a "contact us" report, then wait for them to get back to you - it can take a long time to resolve issues (or not). When, after a few days, I wasn't getting anywhere with their customer service department, I tried to approach the issue from the credit card processing company, in whose interest it is that I put these transactions through as well as mine. It was determined, finally, that TIAS does NOT SUPPORT non-internet credit card transactions. (We're in the process of getting a phone line terminal sent to us so that we'll be able to use a machine at future shows.)

Except that this morning, the orders that I attempted to put through the TIAS site appear to have gone through, and our bank account has been credited with the sales. Can you say - I am confused? Can you say - I am totally Not Impressed with how TIAS has handled this matter? First telling me that I absolutely can put the transactions through, then not being able to, then having it confirmed that they absolutely won't put such transactions through, and then presto! There they are!

What a cowboy outfit. The worst communication skills on the information highway that I've ever seen. Combined with their non-functioning search engine which doesn't allow people to find what they are looking for, plus a lonely sales transaction from the month of January, it adds up to us thinking it's time to say goodbye to TIAS altogether. I'm extremely frustrated, because I have put so much effort into the store there, and have had nothing really to show for it. I've never really felt that the organization is on the dealers' side, with their "don't call us with your problems" approach that further alienates their dealers when they need the support the most.

Boy, am I glad that we have a week off from shows. I think that I need a break at the moment...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry the show and TIAS have been big disappointments. Sending you hugs.