Monday, June 23, 2008

Amazon Bookselling going great guns

I can't figure out, for the life of me, why some weeks are busier than others. Last week we sold 6 books in 7 days, which I think is a record for us. A couple of the titles I had just added on and they sold the next day. I'm running around 95 titles or so. Every now and then I'll get ruthless with my own bookcases and have a run through them, cull a few out, and put them up for sale. I'm still working through the many cases of books I acquired at the same time I bought all those teapots - but at the moment I'm actually selling more of my own collection than those I'd acquired.

And the nice thing is that I feel perfectly fine buying myself a book here and there, knowing that I can recoup some of the money back later on when I'm finished with enjoying my reading. Some books are "keepers" - I have no intention of selling them on to someone else. But others have languished for ages - I'm unwilling to pitch them into a garage sale as they're "too good" for a 50 cent pile.

The only books that are really impossible to resell at Amazon have been best sellers - there are just such high quantities of them around, and the values get driven down just by sheer volume. But last week I decided to put on a textbook about the honeybee that I'd hung on to for no good reason, except as a reminder that I'd once taken a course at an agricultural college for beekeeping (which I was absolutely dismal at, but really enjoyed doing for the short time it lasted). It sold within a day, to some guy at a genomic biology company in the midwest. Way cool. It had gone out of print.

Meanwhile, back on eCrater, I've been adding more and more items to the store. I got some feedback from another dealer about how I had some of my products categorized - so great to get constructive criticism that I can put to immediate use! I implemented those few changes, updated some of the photos at the store's home page, and have been diligently putting additional Bunnykins china items into the inventory. Oh, and I added specific language in our Terms section that we won't ship orders COD :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you!
The garage sailing nut