Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Wedgwood just keeps on coming


(Blushing)

I guess I didn't realize how much we'd amassed over the years until I started to catalog everything for the store. I'm not done yet, though, and I'm up to 37 items. That even beats out the teapots, which I thought was spectacular. I'm almost at the end (I hope), I'm starting to dream about Jasperware, and seeing Dancing Hours every time I close my eyes.

There have been a few surprises along the way. Things like I thought I've seen items when I've searched on Google, yet when it came time for me to research the thing, I haven't been able to find any information at all. Things appear on the internet, and things drop off. (I guess as items come up for sale and then the records are deleted.) So it's made me appreciate the necessity of jotting down notes as I go, and putting them with the objects whether I'm ready to work on it at that time or not. This happened to me just the other day with a cachepot, sometimes also known as a jardiniere. When it came time for me to put it on to the website, I had the hardest time doing my research - many of my searches turned up auction sites that required a registration in order to find out any real information, like what the thing actually sold for. Persistence pays off, though, and I was able to cobble together a great description from multiple sources.

And here's a real wowee-cowabunga one: a perfume atomizer. I got this at the Wedgwood factory in Burslem, England in the late 1980's, not long after the color went into production. Perfume atomizers are highly collectible; Jasperware in rare colors is highly collectible - what this is is what's called (in the parlance of the trade), a "cross collectible", or desirable to people for multiple reasons.

No comments: